Service Dog News

Service Dog Walkathon

October 9, 2020

On Saturday, October 3, hundreds of walkers from across 15 states joined the path to bettering the world for children with autism and their families as part of BluePath Service Dogs’ fourth annual walkathon. The family-friendly fundraiser – this year held virtually – raised more than $120,000 to further BluePath’s mission of providing autism service […]

Read More

Police Welcomes New Canine

October 9, 2020

Young Kingston Police service dog Bask may look small, but his handler says his training and energy are proving that he’s up to fill the shoes of his predecessor. “I think he’s going to be a great little dog,” Const. Jeff Dickson said, looking down at his new partner. A partner that, wearing the right […]

Read More

Service Dog Helps Firefighters

October 9, 2020

Firefighters battling the Archie Creek and Thielsen fires have had some long, exhausting days. But for some, their troubles seemed to melt away once they got back to camp. Why? Meet Ralph Colombo. He hauls oversize loads. And joining Ralph is his service dog, Cowboy – the morale boosting, firefighting puppy. “He just keeps my […]

Read More

A Service Dogs Place

October 9, 2020

A new Pineville nonprofit that helps people with disabilities obtain service dogs has made its first match. The Saber Life Foundation was started in March by Danea Key and her husband Joel. They provide people with trained service dogs, paying 51 percent of the cost, with the client paying the other 49 percent. Service dogs […]

Read More

Service Dog Month Ending

October 8, 2020

September was designated as National Service Dog Month, and one Berks County native is working hard to ensure that the public is informed about what that means. Susan Focht owns and operates Dogs In Service Project, a nonprofit that teaches individuals about the different types of Assistance Dogs, laws surrounding Assistance Dog ownership, and provides […]

Read More

Service Dog Organization

October 8, 2020

In 1962 when Marybeth Hearn was 10 years old, she convinced her parents to let her volunteer to raise a puppy for the California-based nonprofit Guide Dogs for the Blind. She wasn’t sure what to expect when they brought home a black Labrador Retriever named Lepta, but she knew one thing for certain. “I do […]

Read More

Military Working Dogs

October 8, 2020

The Army is developing high-tech augmented reality goggles for dogs that eventually could allow handlers to give them directions from afar, the service said. Military working dogs are directed via hand signals, speaking or laser pointers, which require the handler to remain close by. That can potentially endanger soldiers on missions that involve finding explosives […]

Read More

Bella And Her Service Dog

October 7, 2020

Gisele James has seen the difference. The superintendent of Par Excellence Academy watched a service dog in the Newark community school help change the life of one of her students, and positively affect other kids in the building. Now, that student, in turn, wants to make service dogs available to other students with social and […]

Read More

MTSU’s Police Dog

October 7, 2020

For MTSU Police K9 handler and patrol specialist Zachery Brooker, the loyalty he receives from his K9 Bobby “can’t be compared.” This month marks the anniversary of the dog’s first year of service for the campus police department. Bobby and Brooker have been “very fortunate to have a really good first year” and the other […]

Read More

BluePath Service Dogs

October 7, 2020

Even from a distance, participants at BluePath Service Dogs’ annual Walkathon showed their support by walking with their furry friends during its virtual fundraiser. Participants during the fourth annual fundraiser were asked to walk with their dogs on their own and post pictures to the organization’s social media pages afterwards. The organization, which started in […]

Read More